NEW YORK (Reuters) – New York’s Health Department has yet to declare a state of emergency in the worst-hit state, despite the worst Ebola outbreak since the World War Two era, the agency said on Thursday.
The announcement follows a statement from Governor Andrew Cuomo that the state was “well prepared” for the pandemic.
Cuomo said on Tuesday that New York had already declared a state-wide state of alert for the outbreak and that he would take further steps to protect residents.
“This state of readiness has not changed,” Cuomo said at a news conference.
“The state of health and public safety is absolutely intact.”
Cuomo’s comments came after a state official told the New York Times the department had already “completed its review of our state of preparedness and will make a final decision on its declaration of a state, state-based, state of state of emergencies within the next few days.”
He said the department would not consider expanding its emergency declaration to other states.
The state has been battling the deadly coronavirus for almost two weeks, after a New York City nurse and a doctor who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with the virus, died.
The outbreak is now thought to have infected about 4,000 people.